Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Everything Belongs

I am currently reading a book by Fr. Richard Rohr, O.F.M. called Everything Belongs. This passage struck me:

"I believe that we have no real access to who we really are except in God. Only when we rest in God can we find the safety, the spaciousness, and the scary freedom to be

who we are,

all that we are,

more than we are,

and less than we are.

Only when we live and see through God can 'everything belong.'"

As I read this, I am reminded of the gospel reading a couple of weeks ago about Jesus' baptism. The passage from Matthew ended with, "And a voice came from the heavens, saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

Fr. Richard Rohr challenges us to put our identity in Christ. He challenges us each to accept that we are God's beloved children.

What does this say to us as individuals? If we accept that all are God's beloved children and everything belongs, how does this call us to live our life? What must we change in order to truly live a life where "everything and everyone belongs"?

~Becky E.

No comments: