Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Oil Spill

Today, I read an article in the newspaper about how the oil spill had affected the owner of BP gas station in my city. The owner said his sales were down 60%. His quote was, "I never thought I would see this day, that after working as hard as I have, that I would be facing an imminent possibility of going out of business." The story went on to tell about how this man owned this gas station to provide for his family. His connection to the oil company was "strictly for the rights to the logo and a contract to buy gas."

I was struck by this man's story. He, like all of us, is trying to provide for his family. This oilspill, which he did not cause is affecting his livelihood. I am from Louisiana, and I am frustrated and saddened at the impact this oilspill is having on the people in my home state. Many, like the owner of the gas station in Georgia, will not be able to remain in business due to the affects of the oil spill. Back home, the impact on wildlife is devastating.

As we all process this devastation, I feel we are left with some daunting questions, "What can we do to help? What is our responsibility in all of this? " As I continue to pray for all of those impacted and I discern the answers to these questions, I pray:

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, my entire will.
All that I am and call my own. You have given it all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it. It is yours.
Do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace.
That is enough for me.

No comments: